Why we can’t provide advice
Information provided on GetSmarterReInvesting.ca or provided in a link on the website is to be used for information and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide investment, financial, accounting, legal, tax or other professional advice and should not be relied upon or regarded as a substitute for such advice. We recommend that you seek advice from a qualified professional advisor before acting on any information or other content appearing on this website, the OSC’s social media sites or any website to which they may be linked.
If you submit a question to Re: Investing requesting advice, you may receive a reply with general information related to your question.
What to know if you want investment advice
If you are looking for specific investment information, you should seek the advice of an investment advisor. If you work with an investment advisor, you should expect them to:
- Collect personal financial information about you and your personal circumstances, including your investment goals and risk tolerance.
- Make clear and specific recommendations, and explain how their recommendations will help you meet your goals.
- Explain the risks and fees involved with every investment they recommend.
- Answer your questions about investment products and strategies.
- Keep your personal information safe.
- Get your permission before buying or selling investments on your behalf, and confirm it in writing (unless you have a discretionary account or you have given someone else trading authority or power or attorney over your account).
- Send regular account statements, and meet with you at least once a year to review your investments and update your investment plan.
- should not guarantee market performance or promise you specific investment returns.
- should not buy or sell investments without instructions from you.
- will not always recommend products that generate positive returns.
Learn more about what to expect from a financial advisor.
Before you consider working with a financial advisor, ask these questions.
Always check an advisor’s registration at AreTheyRegistered.ca.